Tuesday, August 17, 2010

I have arrived.

Well, today marked the second day of orientation and it has been quite a ride so far. I am not sure how most schools do orientation but for us we have the opportunity to attend a class (either Contracts or Torts) on a daily basis. In this class we get the chance to slowly wade into the world of legal education. Of course I have no delusions that after this week law school will be as slow as it is now, but I'm extremely glad we can take these baby steps before we sprint (albeit sprint for a marathon).

Most of the activities that I will participate in this week are centered around creating strategies that will hopefully make my endeavors in law school more successful. While I have my doubts that everything I will do this week will be beneficial (tomorrow for example we get the opportunity to practice being grilled in what our professor has termed an over aggressive socratic fashion) I am hoping that most of what I do this week will aid me down the road.

From the tone of this post it would seem that I am rather apprehensive about the coming months, and I suppose that is probably a little expected since everything I have done up to this point is pretty much just the work that got me here, the rules of the game have changed and the standard is much, much higher for success. Of course, I also look at this as an incredible opportunity and can't wait to get to work in all of my classes.

One last thing I have observed so far that I have to mention is the fact that it seems as if one step I took this summer has prepared me better than any other step so far. That was reading McClurg's "One L of a Ride". This book goes over what to expect and how to handle it all but it also goes over a simple method for assimilating all of the information we are bombarded with on a daily basis. So if you are out there and still a little uncertain of what you are doing or what to expect and you want to do a little more prep reading I would highly suggest this book, but if you don't I can definitely understand and I can't say you will truly be that far behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment